Frequently Asked Questions

Arrival, dismissal, and After School Care procedures.
What is the procedure for morning drop off?

Our doors open at 7:45am. We do not offer morning before care. Please visit our Drop-Off and Pick-Up page to learn more about drop off procedures. 

What is the procedure for afternoon dismissal?
Dismissal on Monday – Thursday is from 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm and on Friday from 1:45 pm – 2:15 pm. SAA uses the PikMyKid dismissal app to dismiss students in all grades; all parents should utilize this app. Visit our Drop-Off & Pick-Up page to learn more about afternoon dismissal procedures. 
What are After School Care hours?
After School Care is provided for Pre-K – 8th grade. It begins directly after dismissal and ends at 6:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 5:00 p.m. on Fridays. When Daylight Savings Time ends from November to March, ASC will end at 4:00 p.m. on Friday. The time on Fridays will return to 5:00 p.m. after March. Charges for ASC are not included in tuition; visit our Tuition & Fees page for ASC rates.
How do I reach the After School Care director during ASC hours?
Dial the direct ASC line at 240-883-3540.
Is ASC available when there is a 12:15p.m. dismissal?
ASC will be available on most 12:15 dismissal days. For days when ASC is not offered, it will be clearly marked on the school calendar and highlighted in the school’s weekly newsletter.
Can an older sibling in high school sign out/pick up a younger sibling during ASC hours?
If an older sibling has specific permission and the student is responsible for transporting the child(ren) home, they may sign out and pick them up from ASC. Under no circumstances should an elementary student be taken to wait on the high school side.
Is there After School Care for high school students?
No, after dismissal high school students are to check in to The Study (an after school study hall program) to wait until their ride has come. Students should remain there unless they are participating in an afterschool activity or under the supervision of a teacher or staff member. All students must exit the building Monday through Thursday by 6:00 p.m., unless they are participating in an afterschool activity or under the supervision of a teacher or staff member.
When does a student need to sign out?
Students must sign out when leaving before the end of the school day. For elementary and middle school students, this must be by a parent or guardian. If the student returns from an appointment, they must sign in. If a high school student is leaving before the end of the day, even if they only have a study hall remaining, they must sign out to avoid being marked absent. When students sign out they must leave the building.
What procedure do I need to follow to come into the school during school hours?
Everyone should enter through one of the front entrances ONLY, once school is in session. For safety purposes, all other entrances are off limits during the school day. Please stop by the office, sign in and get a visitor pass. Please sign out before you leave and exit through the main entrances. Please do not encourage or expect a student to let you in a different door.
Absences/Sick Days
What should I do if my child is unable to come to school?
If your child is sick, please call Terri Sheahin 301-421-9101 or email [email protected] for Pre-K-8, or call Lauren Esveld at 240-883-3502 or email [email protected] for high school by 8:30 a.m. to notify us that your child will not be attending school. Upon their return, they should bring a note to the office explaining the reason for their absence. This information may also be communicated via email by a parent or guardian. If your child is seen by their medical provider or is diagnosed with an illness such as strep throat, Covid-19, pink eye or any other communicable disease, please notify the school nurse at [email protected] or 240-883-3509.
What should I do if I know my child will miss school due to a planned vacation or a trip?
Please fill out a Pre-Arranged Absence form (available here) with signatures of all teachers whose classes your child will miss. These must be turned in to the office at least one week before the date they will be missing school. This does not apply to medical/dental appointments, which are excused with a note from the doctor or parent.
What are the guidelines for a sick child returning to school?
SAA follows Maryland state guidelines which state that a student must be free of fever (100.4 or below), diarrhea or vomiting for a twenty-four hour period before returning. If you have any questions regarding their return, please contact the school nurse at [email protected] or 240-883-3509.
What if my child is injured or sick during the day?
Students will be cared for by the school nurse or office personnel. Any visit for such reasons will be recorded in RenWeb. Minor injuries are treated and the student will return to class. If an injury is more serious, parents are notified. If a child has vomiting, diarrhea or a fever, parents are notified and the child will need to go home.
What is the primary form of communication at SAA?
Email is the primary communication tool at SAA. Occasionally hard copy mail is sent. In cases of emergency, email, text and phone calls are made. Please ensure your contact information is always kept updated in RenWeb.
How do I stay informed?
The Buzz, the weekly school newsletter, is emailed to all students and parents and can be viewed on RenWeb. This will keep you informed on events as well as calendar changes. Middle school students and their families also receive the Mini Buzz in email form each week. Elementary teachers also communicate via email with parents. Parent alert texts will be sent to families.
How will I know if school is cancelled due to bad weather?
SAA follows Montgomery County School closings for inclement weather. These notices are on network television as well as radio. All families will receive a phone call and/or a text message using RenWeb’s parent alert system. Occasionally there will be a need to close school early due to a power outage or some other emergency. The alert process will be the same. Please ensure your contact information is kept updated.
What information am I able to access with RenWeb/Facts SIS?
RenWeb (now named FACTS SIS) is a vast source of information. You can keep track of attendance, grades, homework assignments, calendar and discipline. You can also view detailed information on your finances such as lunch, After School Care, and other fees.
Whom should I speak with regarding medical issues with my child?
Contact the school nurse, Kari Banks at 240-883-3509 or [email protected].
What if I need to speak with my child's teacher?
If it is an emergency, call the school office. Otherwise, send an email, write a note or leave a voice mail with your child’s teacher to schedule an appointment to meet with them. Teachers cannot be expected to stop teaching during school hours to have a conversation with parents, so please make every effort not to interrupt them during the school day. This includes drop-off and dismissal time. Email is the best form of initiating communication. Making an appointment is the best option to meet with the teachers.
How frequently will report cards be sent?
The elementary school is on a 4 quarter system and the high school is on a semester system. At the end of every term a report card will be emailed. A parent can request a hard copy of that report card by return email. Hard copy report cards will be mailed out to all families at the end of the school year.
Other Information
Can a high school student leave campus during the day?
SAA maintains a closed campus during the day. A student is permitted to leave campus only with parent permission and must sign out. They can return for after school activities, provided they have attended at least half of the academic day.
Can an SAA high school student drive other SAA students?
A high school student must have written permission from parents/guardians to ride with any other student at SAA. Students must also adhere to any laws or probation periods.
Where can I get frequently used forms?
Please visit our our Forms page to access our frequently used Parent and Student forms. If you are unable to find a form on the Forms page, please contact the school office.
What do I need to volunteer at the school?
SAA encourages all parents to become involved by volunteering. Please visit our Volunteers page to learn more about volunteer requirements, opportunities and more. For more information or clarification please contact Heidi Wetmore at [email protected]
What are the requirements to drive students for a field trip?
All drivers must meet general Volunteer requirements as well as additional Driver requirements. Please visit our Volunteers page to learn more about requirements for both.
What is Home & School?
Home & School is a parent/teacher organization whose members have a common goal of helping to ensure the success of this school in all capacities. Their mission is to promote the welfare of our children, encourage parent contribution of time, talent, and financial support for educational programs that directly benefit the students, and develop united efforts between faculty and parents. They accomplish these goals through a variety of initiatives, to include establishing a room parent network, supporting the administration at events throughout the year, and funding educational programs for the students. Fundraising is a central focus as well. Their efforts over the years have enabled the school to install Smartboards in every classroom, contribute to the purchase of playground equipment as well as providing ways raise money for the classrooms. Keep your eyes and ears open for different ways you can contribute to fundraising efforts throughout the year, such as the Safeway/Giant Bonus Card programs, Amazon Smile, Claire’s Gourmet, Fall Festival, 5 K Race, and Book Fair just to name a few. They also provide opportunities for social outlet (aka having fun) throughout the year. They communicate primarily through The Buzz and email. Make sure to check both places so you don’t miss out. Finally, they encourage you to get involved and support these efforts that really are designed to benefit the students at this school.
What activities count for my Family Service Hours?
There are many opportunities for family service. Helping with Home & School events, chaperoning field trips, helping with the Spencerville Athletic Booster Club (SABC) and assisting the teachers with tasks are some of the most common ways. Often family service opportunities are listed in The Buzz. Check with your child’s teacher to see if they need help with anything.
How do I get credit for my Family Service Hours?
Forms are available online on the Forms page. Parents are responsible for recording your hours and the dates of your service on the form and obtain the signature of the staff member or Home & School officer who was coordinating the hours of service. When the hours have been submitted, they will be recorded in RenWeb. Hours will not be credited if dates and signatures are not included. All forms must be submitted by June 30th of each year; late forms will not be accepted.
Does a student need to audition for music groups?
Yes, students are admitted by audition. Music teachers will post audition times at the beginning of the school year.
Can my child participate on sports teams?

Various sports are offered at SAA to complement the academic and spiritual atmosphere of our school. Each sport will have its own tryout period in which team members will be selected to participate in the organized sport. A current year sports physical is required for all SAA sports team tryouts. Athletic eligibility reports are run throughout the year to determine eligibility. Tryout times will be posted by flyers throughout the school and announced in The Buzz. Games for each sport are announced in The Buzz and will appear in the athletic calendar.

Visit our Athletics page to see which sports are offered and to learn more.

SAA’s athletic director is Isaac Tyman. He can be contacted at [email protected]

How do students participate in drama?
Each year a full musical drama production is produced for high school and occasionally middle school. A special interest meeting will be held shortly after the start of the school year with a synopsis of the characters given as well as an audition packet. Auditions will be announced and held after school.
What should I do if I need more school uniforms during the year?
Used uniforms are available throughout the year in SAA’s used uniform store. Inquire in the office. New uniforms can be ordered at any time during the school year by going to the School Uniforms by Tommy Hilfiger website. On the Find Your School page, enter either our Partner School Code SPEN01 or search by school name and location. Select your student’s grade, gender and program type. For all customer service questions, please call 1-877-825-2860. Customer Service is available in English and Spanish. More detailed ordering instructions are available on the Uniforms page.
What if my child receives a dress code violation and is asked to change and the student/parent is unable to get the proper uniform items during the school day?
Used and new uniforms are available at the school for sale. Dress code violations are recorded in Renweb (school information system) and may result in disciplinary actions.
How does the school lunch program operate?
Check out our School Lunch page to find all the information you need to know!
If a high school student breaks or damages their school issued tablet, who is responsible to pay and repair the device?
Laptops issued to high school students during the first year of attendance are given to the students to keep and are therefore the responsibility of the student. Any necessary repairs are the responsibility of the family. In the year of issuance, the family has the option of purchasing an extended warranty for the laptop. If the laptop is damaged and the family has purchased the warranty, the school may assist in the process of submitting a claim to the warranty company.
When can a student apply for the National Honor Society in high school?
Students are asked to apply starting their sophomore year. Students must meet all criteria to be admitted. National Honor admittance criteria is available in the high school handbook.
If I want further information about how the educational testing process works at SAA for identifying potential learning disabilities, where do I look?
SAA uses a Response to Intervention (RTI) approach with students who struggle beyond the age and developmentally-appropriate range of achievement in academics.  Additionally, our Student Support Team (SST) meets weekly to review identified students and monitor school-based supports implemented on their behalf.  Visit our SAA Resource page at http://spencervilleacademy/resource-department/ for further information.
Spencerville logo white

Quick Links


Social Media